KSPA Runway Safety Area Improvements & 23 Extension Phase 3 Update
The runway was closed at 7.00 am on Monday June 18th
Week One Activity (June 18th thru June 25th)
Work in progress during the first week.
- Grading of the Runway 5 approach end, which is considered to be the critical path of the project due to the amount of soil to be moved.
- All electrical power to the MALSR and runway lighting has been disconnected. There is no Beacon lighting
- Milling and grinding of the old asphalt has begun and trucks have been hauling it away.
- The milling will be used to create improved roadways for the airport lighting systems that were difficult to access.
- The installation of erosion control around the runway area.
- A tree line has been cleared for a new thru road to be built. This will allow the construction vehicles to access Venture Blvd and Southport Road.
- This new road will be asphalted for general use.
- New retention walls are being built at both end of the runways.
- Electrical conduit is being installed for the new Airport Lighting.
We have had hot & dry weather which has allowed a good start with this project.